All Courses are FREE of charge
Upcoming course dates for 2018:
January 22 – March 2, 2018 9:30am – 12:00 pm
March 19 – April 27, 2018 9:30am – 12:00 pm
Newmarket & Richmond Hill
May 7 – June 15, 2018 9:30am – 12:00 pm
July 9 – August 17, 2018 – 9:30am – 12:00 pm
September 4 – October 12, 2018- 9:30am- 12:00 pm
October 22 – November 30, 2018 – 9:30am – 12:00pm
JOB FINDING CLUB
Starting July 10th 2018 Tuesdays and Thursdays 1:00pm to 3:00pm
The Employment Centre at STEPS allows individuals in early recovery to become job-ready in 6 weeks. The setting and curriculum at S.T.E.P.S has been designed and developed for persons in recovery and those who have been affected by drugs and alcohol. The workshop is designed to cover 5 areas:
1. Life skills:
- Goal setting – Assisting clients in forming goal plans & coping skills to follow through.
- Problem Solving – Identifying problems & learning problem solving techniques that can be used in their daily lives.
- Habits and Routine – This lesson empowers participants to enhance and maintain positive change in their behaviours. The Facilitators explain the benefits of change in their own lives by using self-example.
- Self-Esteem – Development of positive Self-esteem and the importance of it.
- Managing Stress – Stress management techniques to achieve stress reduction in the workplace and social environment.
- Values – Uncover their values with the aim of helping participants make wise career choices.
- Conflict Resolution – This workshop is designed to give group members the tools to recognize and effectively deal with internal and external sources of conflict.
- Boundaries – Recognize the importance of maintaining healthy boundaries at the workplace and at home.
- Anger Management – This workshop is designed to help the participants develop skills to deal with anger.
2. Computer skills:
- Introduction to Emails – Email basics as well as setting up new Email addresses that participants will use for when applying for Employment.
- Microsoft Word 2013 – Introduction to Microsoft Word.
- Microsoft Excel 2013 – Introduction to Excel.
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 – Introduction to PowerPoint.
3. Self Discovery:
- Personality Dimensions – This personality assessment allows participants to see how different personality characteristics determine our behaviour and how we interact with people. Participants should have a better understanding of their strengths and how to make the most of the abilities.
- Career Dimensions – Used in conjunction with Personality Dimensions to explore their career choices & occupations that they may wish to explore.
4. Pre-Employment Preparation
- Resume & cover Letters – The participants will first discuss the importance of the resume and what it should contain. In the second part, there will be a discussion of the importance of cover letters and when to use them.
- Transferable Skills – Through structured exercises participants identify their transferable skill sets. Participants focus on area of strength and competence.
- Interview Skills – Participants will role-play answering sample behavioral interview questions from different sources and work through questionnaires regarding interviewing techniques.
- Mock Interviews – Participants will have the opportunity to be interviewed by one of our staff members.
5. Job Search which will help our clients reach economic independence.
- Job Search Techniques – This lesson explores the various ways to access job searching techniques as well as exploring the effective ways to find out about labour market networking to gain information on types of positions available.
- Job Retention – Participants will discuss the ways of retaining employment. With focus on incorporating the life skills, computer training, self- discovery, pre-employment preparation, job search, and how they relate to persons in recovery.
The S.T.E.P.S program creates confidence and self-esteem that gives participants a well-balanced plan to move forward. We believe that through our course participants begin to believe in and use the resources for sobriety and job placement to benefit their recovery from addiction and greatly improve their life prospects. The STEPS Training Employment & Preparation Services program is intended to increase the vocational opportunities for all that participate.